City of Frontenac, Missouri

A Heritage of Gracious Living, Shopping and Dining

Fire Safety Tips

Fire Safety and Prevention

  • Never store gasoline or other flammable liquids near an open flame in your home.
  • Always store gasoline or other flammable liquids in an approved container.
  • Never leave candles unattended, even for a short period of time.
  • Keep matches and lighters away from children.
  • If you smell gas, do not operate light switches or anything that could make a spark.  Exit your home immediately and call 911.
  • Keep the Fireplace doors and screens in place and always keep the damper open until the fire is completely out and no longer smoldering.
  • If you notice a power line down, notify your local power company and stay away from the lines even if you think they are not charged.

Portable Fire Extinguishers

It is recommended that homeowners keep small household fire extinguishers in certain areas of the home such as in the kitchen, garage, or outdoor grill area.  An extinguisher may help keep the fire under control while waiting for the Fire Department to arrive.  In some cases, it has even put out small fires, limiting the damage done to the home. These extinguishers are small, lightweight, and easy to use.  You can find them at any hardware store for a minimal cost. If you have these, check to be sure they are in good working condition.

How to use a Fire Extinguisher:

Do you know how to properly discharge a fire extinguisher? Read the following steps to learn more and then view the video demonstration by one of your Frontenac firemen.

P A S S  is the acronym used to remember the steps.

P: Pull the Pin. This will unlock the operating handle and allow the extinguisher to discharge.

A: Aim at the base of the Fire.

S: Squeeze the operating handle. This will release the firefighting agent.

S: Sweep from side to side. Move carefully in on the fire, still aiming at the base.

Frontenac Fire Lt. James Brooks demonstrating how to discharge a fire extinguisher

Carbon Monoxide Safety

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless deadly gas created when fuel burns. Carbon Monoxide is made up of one carbon molecule and one oxygen molecule; this means that it has the same weight as air and mixes with it easily. Safe and proper installation of fuel burning appliances and proper use of gas engines will ideally reduce the chances of CO poisoning.

  • If your Carbon Monoxide detector alerts, leave the house immediately and call 911
  • Have a qualified technician inspect your fuel burning appliances and chimney yearly to make sure they are operating correctly.
  • Carbon Monoxide monitors need to be updated and replaced every 10 years.
  • Change batteries every 6 months, the same time you change your clocks.

Proper placement of a Carbon Monoxide detector is important. If you are only using one detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends it be located near the sleeping area

Contact Us

Fire Department
10555 Clayton Rd
Frontenac, MO 63131
Get Directions

  • Phone: (314) 994-1801
  • Staff Directory

In this Department

Topics of Interest